We are an anglican church, part of the diocese of Ely and the deanery of Wisbech Lynn Marshland. We follow the teaching of Jesus Christ through the Bible, through tradition and through the application of our intellgence. Hopefully that means we aim toward being loving, humble and wise after the example of Jesus himself.
St Augustine’s Church was built in 1869 with money raised by the people of the Wisbech. The intention was to build a new place of worship and pastoral support for an ever growing population.
We’re a friendly church that welcomes everyone through its doors. Situated in the Georgian Market town of Wisbech in Cambridgeshire. The church has its own worship committee that arranges special family orientated services throughout the year. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to participate in this. Children are welcome at the services and tea and biscuits are available after services in the Parish centre.
The church, erected in 1868-9, and opened in May, 1869, at a cost of about £4,000, is a structure of brick, with stone dressings, in the Early English style consisting of clerestoried nave, aisles and bellicot containing one bell: the reredos, erected in 1878 is of stone the panels being filled in with glass mosaic displaying a central cross with the figures of three angels on either side, bearing on shields the instruments of the Passion: the stained east window, placed 7 Dec. 1883, is a memorial: the west window was filled with stained glass in 1922, in memory of the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are several other stained windows: the church affords 500 sittings. The register dates from the year 1870.